Wow…

I got this from an e-mail support group I belong to- a group of parents I would not have survived the last year without- and apart from the hitting and biting (Damien never did that to me) it could have been written about myself and my darling ADHDer Damien!

You’ve seen me before.
I’m the mom dragging her kid out of the car in the school parking lot while he holds on to the interior for dear life.
I’m the mom walking her kid into school wearing no shoes or coat when it’s 12 degrees outside.
I’m the mom who issues a sigh instead of a gasp when caller ID shows it’s the school calling.
Again.
I’m the mom whose cell phone number is on the school’s speed dial.
I’m the mom who has strangers tell her she has the most charming son while caregivers tell her he’s exhausting and suggest I look elsewhere for care.
I’m the mom who knows to hold onto the stair railing so she doesn’t get pushed down the stairs in her child’s rage.
I’m the mom who has put her kid in his room then sat outside crying while he emptied his closet and threw hangers at the door, chipping off the paint.
I’m the mom who had a lock on her kid’s bedroom door to keep him in his room at night when he was young.
I’m the mom who knows the best way to carry a 50 lb kid in a manner where she can’t get kicked, hit or bit.
I’m the mom who can turn her back for 2 seconds and lose her kid in a hotel, on a cruise ship, at the park, or anywhere that child abductors might be lurking.
I’m the mom who will let her 6 year old go into the men’s bathroom at McDonalds alone rather than suffer a meltdown of epic proportions.
I’m the mom who people shake their heads at and say, “That kid wouldn’t be doing that if he were my son”, or “that kid just needs a swift kick in the pants”.
On the other hand, I’m the mom who gets bear hugs and “I love you” with no prompting and right out of the blue.
I’m the mom who gets asked at bedtime, “Will you share some special time with me tonight?”
I’m the mom who has a little boy hugging and kissing her with total abandon – in front of his friends.
I’m the mom who smiles proudly as her son charms the waitress, the mailman and the pizza delivery kid.
I’m the mom who gets to celebrate even the tiniest accomplishments of her son because each one means so much.
I’m the mom who has a son who can make her double over laughing because he has such a great sense of humor.
And I’m the mom who can love her son through good and bad unconditionally.
I’m the mom with an ADHD son.
By Michelle Flood (Mom to Austin, 6)

12 Responses to Wow…

1. Tracy_Nicolaus says:

Hi, Thanks for such great reading! I just started blogging, I think you would get a
    smile and maybe a tear or two from these. http://tracynicolaus.blogspot.com/
    Feel free to post, if we can save one parent from insanity it is well worth our effort!
    Blessings,
    Tracy Nicolaus… SURVIVOR!

2. Tammy Ames says:

Angel ~ I found your blog through Anna’s and I have to tell you that YOU wrote my story too! Out of my four children – three with ADHD and sensory issues, there is no greater struggle than to feel you are doing OK in the midst of the storm but as you show, there are moments of sunshine and beautiful twilight that become secret treasures! You are doing awesome!!

Tammy

3. Anna says:

Ok, I’m sitting here crying. Why? Because although I know others are in the same boat as me, I don’t actually know anybody and haven’t heard them say the same things as me.

That was, up until now. Thanks for the poem, even if it did make me cry 🙂 My Kyle is 9 and I can see I’m not alone.

Anna
    and ‘My Star Kyle’ pdf: http://annamarketing.com/dl/MyStarKyle.pdf

4. beadinggalinMS says:

That is a wonderful post and poem. I commend you Angel!
    Have a great weekend sweetie. 🙂

5. gail says:

Angel, I just remembered something funny after re-reading the poem. The child in the poem is only 6 years old. I am way further down the track and I have actually had a 6foot, sixteen year old carry me out of the house and lock me out!!! But once he had calmed down you should have seen the look of horror on his face as he realized what he had done!!!

dawn: i deleted your comment so the whole world (you know- my thousands of readers…?) wouldn’t get their grubby paws on your email addy.

nmotb: brace yourself doll- i write about adhd on a fairly regular basis!

7. NMOTB says:

Hi, gee wizz that is some post – you know you have done a great job! How is Damian doin?

spookie, mel, dawn: thank you from the bottom of my heart!

gail: we aren’t, and we definitely are (alone & wonderful, that is)!

9. Dawn says:

I admire you beyond what words can describe. I think single parenting is the only thing harder than parenting and step-parenting … to cope with your curcumstances on your own, and with your level of commitment and passion, is nothing short of heroic. I truly and deeply commend you, Angel!

10. Melany aka Supermom says:

Wow. It must be so hard to raised a child with ADHD. You are doing a great job

11. gail says:

Thanks Angel It’s good to know that we are not alone and that we are WONDERFUL parents!!!!

12. Spookie the Warrior says:

Wow, that is amazing. It is a comfort to know that there are other moms out there who know exactly what you are going through – even for me, for you – you know what I mean…..

This has inspired me to write a poem about “stepmommying”.