You know what- I think I finally worked it out! It’s taken me a while- but I think I finally have it! I have not one, but TWO teenage sons! It’s like one of those bad movies where one person plays the part of a twin but you never see them in the same scene simultaneously. Inexplicably, I named them both Damien, but I think there are very definitely two of them. There’s the gorgeous, popular, intelligent, amicable, cool, lovable, talented youngster that everybody NOT living with us gets to meet… and then there’s the morose, moody, attractive, uncooperative little troll that I have at home, who treats me worse than something he’s just scraped off his shoe! I really don’t understand it- and no amount of talking slash pleading slash threatening from or by me seems to get me anywhere. But wait- I only ever buy one of everything for my Damien… so there can’t be two of them. In fact, the more I think about it, the more the two person description of my darling Damien seems like how I was before I started taking my happy pills.
Could he be depressed? Even just a little? I think I must Google teenage depression and do a little research. His psych asked me before if I thought he was depro- but I said I didn’t think he was… the last couple of days I’ve been rethinking it though. Then again- I could just be pretty standard teenage behaviour, but I wish it wasn’t!
Edited to add this: signs of teenage depression. If one or more of these signs of depression persist, parents should seek help.
1. Frequent sadness, tearfulness, crying
3. Decreased interest in activities; or inability to enjoy previously favorite activities
4. Persistent boredom; low energy
5. Social isolation, poor communication
6. Low self esteem and guilt
7. Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
8. Increased irritability, anger, or hostility
9. Difficulty with relationships
10. Frequent complaints of physical illnesses, such as headaches and stomachaches
11. Frequent absences from school or poor performance in school
12. Poor concentration
13. A major change in eating and/or sleeping patterns
14. Talk of or efforts to run away from home
15. Thoughts or expressions of suicide or self-destructive behavior
16. Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Damien doesn’t really have any of these, so I think I’m stuck with it being “normal” teenage behaviour… I really hope it doesn’t last too long- I dunno how long I’ll be able to stand it!