I subscribe to several parenting newsletters, and I got this in my inbox a while ago (from Jennifer Wolf) As a single parent, you have much to feel proud of!
1. You’re on call 24/7.
2. You make sure the kids are up in time to get ready for school each morning.
3. You kiss every boo-boo.
4. You recognize your children as uniquely gifted and valuable individuals.
5. You tuck them in at night and make sure they’re getting enough rest.
6. You plan every birthday celebration.
7. You make breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.
8. You help your children with their homework.
9. You’ve created a warm and loving home.
10. You’re the one who gets up at night when they’re sick.
11. You’re also the one who misses work to take care of them.
12. You’ve taught them the value of friendship.
13. You plan fun activities like roller skating, bowling, and hiking.
14. You teach them the value of hard work.
15. You demonstrate the value of money by spending carefully.
16. You help your kids make good decisions on a daily basis.
17. You answer their questions about the other parent.
18. You read to them.
19. You’re the one keeping an eye on how much TV they watch.
20. You’ve learned to organize every aspect of your lives.
21. You know the difference between “wants” and “needs.”
22. You’ve taught your children to be responsible for themselves.
23. You demonstrate resilience and determination every day.
24. Your kids know they’re loved.
25. Your kids are proud of you, too.
I haven’t really given much thought to adding anything I might like to add, so what would you add to this list?
You can send your own ideas directly to the Single Parents Guide.
There Is Never An Excuse
One in three is not a statistic - one in three is a crying shame.