You’ve Got To Be Kidding Me!

Every 6 months or so, I buy myself a Heat or People magazine for some fluff and light entertainment. The next to last issue of Heat (thats how out of date I am, I don’t even buy the newest one) had a piece in it that had my jaw on the floor!!

It seems South African parents are in an uproar over their children seeing people have sex during a prime-time TV show called Vixens– on Vuzu channel! Vixens is a reality show (which most people know I can’t stand) about self-proclaimed sluts living in a Big Brother type “house”, and dudes who have girlfriends going to stay in the same house and NOT having sex with the sluts to prove their fidelity!!

Any questions as to why I dislike “reality” TV shows?

Vuzu is not a channel your children should be watching people! The channel is geared towards the 18-23 age demographic and if you’re really as concerned about what your children see on TV as you claim to be, they wouldn’t be watching Vuzu!

I’ve never watched Vixens BTW, not do I watch much of anything on Vuzu besides The Vampire Diaries. It is one of my 19 year old son’s favourite channels though.

16 Responses to You’ve Got To Be Kidding Me!

1. sleepyjane says:

I don’t really mind reality shows (I can’t care either way really) but that just sounds like a load of crap.

Don’t the parents know you can password protect some channels and all that. Or is that certain shows? Mmm.
    .-= sleepyjane´s last blog ..Things I did this weekend that were awesome =-.

2. Fairy Girl says:

Parents need to control what their children watch, no point blaming the channel.
    .-= Fairy Girl´s last blog ..Family Photo Shoot =-.

3. marcelle says:

Never heard of this program.

4. Tanya says:

I cant do reality either anymore…(except Idols and the like) those other shows are just plain stupid and trying to cash in on a formula thats been redone a million times!
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..In Court Tomorrow =-.

5. P.J says:

I like Vuzu 🙂 Not vixens though, the snippets I have seen looked dumb and boring.

6. Kerryn says:

Gaaaah!! Exactly. I’ve seen about five minutes of this show once when I was channel hopping, and it is AWFUL!! But the major point being that I would NEVER let Ciara watch this show at all!
    .-= Kerryn´s last blog ..You know what I dont get =-.

7. Laura says:

See this annoys me! Parents passing the responsibility to someone else!

It is THEIR job to control what their kids watch – not the channels to put appropriate stuff on!

Argh! Seriously this is why kids are growing up dysfunctional!

8. Wenchy says:

I have never even heard of it.
    .-= Wenchy´s last blog ..We do not remember days we remember moments =-.

9. Bobbi Janay says:

Why aren’t the parents controlling what their kids watch.
    .-= Bobbi Janay´s last blog ..What if it isnt enough =-.

10. One word – Parental control setting. But yes, never watched the chanel.
    .-= cat@juggling act´s last blog ..A visit to Cape Town =-.

11. Brigitte says:

Some childrens parents… (tut tut)
    Never heard of the show or the channel myself, and you thought YOU were out of touch… LOL!!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..TAGGED =-.

12. Um… Vuzu? Didn’t even know there *was* such a channel. Yikes! I really *am* out of touch.
    .-= Ness at Drovers Run´s last blog ..This One is for my Dad – Viva Hollandia- =-.

13. blackhuff says:

It’s usually these kinds of people who don’t know how to use the parental option on the DSTV decoder, who complain about this.
    And it’s a parent’s responsibility to ensure that what you’re child is watching (primetime is usually when most parents are at home) is suitable for him/her age.
    .-= blackhuff´s last blog ..Feels like a year and compliment =-.

14. Julia says:

I also don’t like reality TV for a number of reasons. And I would absolutely not allow my sons to watch a channel meant for an older audience!
    x

15. Sharon says:

My question immediately is Why are the parents complaining instead of controlling what their children watch? I think the parents should rather look at their capabilities as parents instead of wasting time moaning at the TV people who have put up the necessary age restriction.
    I’ve never watched this channel (no DSTV) and don’t know about the show – just by the way 🙂
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Sunset through the tree =-.

16. Bridget says:

I find the entire channel a little distasteful actually. And Vixens is probably dumb, I’ve never watched though. It SOUNDS dumb. 🙂