Its Census Time Again!

It seems people are getting into quite a flap about this Census business, and I truly believe there’s no need to.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from the gate of our complex to let me know the census rep had arrived and could he come to my house please. I said yes, and a few minutes later I met him at my gate, took my census form package and sent him on his way. I then filled it in myself, in pencil as he requested, and when he came back a couple of hours later I gave it back to him. It wasn’t hard to understand if you read the instructions clearly, and I didn’t fill in anything I didn’t want them to know.

Should you wish to complete the questionnaire on your own, you may. You can also contact the call centre (0800 110 248) should you need assistance in the completion of the questionnaire.

I did the same thing for the last census, back in 2001.

Done and dusted. There was no stranger in my house, I didn’t feel threatened, and he had the credentials necessary for me to make sure he was actually a census rep.

Should I let the person into my house?

If you are not comfortable doing this, you can answer the questions through your security gate.

For one thing, they wear bright yellow census bibs – not just any bib – and they do not travel in packs! They have ID, they’re polite, and they’re more than happy to help if you need it.

How do you know that the person at your door is from Stats SA? The enumerators can be identified as follows:

1. A yellow satchel with the Census and Stats SA logos
          2. They will have census questionnaires with them
          3. An A3-size book with a map of the area on the first page
          4. A yellow bib with the Census and Stats SA logos
          5. An ID card

Yes, it does seem there are fake census reps out there, and we all knew that would happen as this is an ideal opportunity for crooks- but if you check IDs and credentials before you let them in your gate you really shouldn’t have a problem. And you can fill the forms in yourself if you are literate enough.

Official Site of Census 2011 the site is painfully slow to load unfortunately…

15 Responses to Its Census Time Again!

1. blackhuff says:

Oh yes. I have seen some resistance in our area from other neighbours. They just don’t want to be seen. Don’t answer their doors even though I know they are there. Terrible
    blackhuff recently posted…A few things I now CAN doMy Profile

2. blackhuff says:

The Census guy also visited us last week. We did not invite him into our home. We sat outside and filled the form in with him. We offered him something to drink to which he was grateful for. It took 30 mins to complete the form. We did not feel unsafe with him and we did not allow him into our home as I got the idea that he did not feel offended that we did not invite him in. I think they totally understand why some people do it like that.
    Done and dusted with 🙂
    blackhuff recently posted…A few things I now CAN doMy Profile

3. Gill says:

Ours dropped off the forms, hasn’t been back to collect them yet, but I’m sure they will arrive to do so sooner or later. I don’t know why some people get so worked up about things like this… it’s as simple or as complicated as you make it really, isn’t it?
    Gill recently posted…Finding The DressMy Profile

4. Louisa says:

I’d invite them in for coffee, shame man it’s a crap job…however they haven’t rocked up here yet so I may or may not even be counted this round.
    Louisa recently posted…CarwashMy Profile

5. becky says:

This is not something we have to do in our neck of the woods. Is this something you guys do yearly, or just every 10 years?

6. Tamara says:

Our census enumerator had none of the official garb… no bib, nothing. And he couldn’t answer any of my questions. And he hasn’t been back to pick up the forms.

*Sigh*

I’ve filled them in anyway. But it would have been nice to have someone who knew what he was doing.
    Tamara recently posted…Still hereMy Profile

7. Laura says:

I also dont really get the big deal – I prefer to complete it myself purely because its a little easier for me doing it when I have the time.

8. Julia says:

We haven’t been visited yet but I also heard on the radio news this morning (@5fm) that they are asking people not to complete the forms themselves but to rather let the census guy do it?
    Julia recently posted…Catch upMy Profile

9. Chris Cariou says:

Programs and even programs? Duh.

10. Chris Cariou says:

Like you said Angel…Censuses are necessary. They help governments determine funding for programs and even programs. Would you just not care if you knew anything about your life? Governments MUST know.They have to know to establish tax rates and programs and grants and such. Having said that, sometimes it may not be convenient. It must be safe and you must be made to feel safe. It still must be done. Otherwise, your govt might as well throw in the towel and we go back to caveman days.

11. We haven’t been visited as yet.
    A Daft Scots Lass recently posted…Caption My Daft Photo CompetitionMy Profile

12. I also have seen posters with the tel no of our rep in the area and have asked Lucy to just take the forms when they come.
    cat@juggling act recently posted…Some sort of catch upMy Profile

13. SheBee says:

I was quite interested yesterday to see the absolute resistance to Census. I feel the same way, you don’t need to answer anything you’re not comfortable with and you certainly don’t need to let anyone in, so I don’t think it’s quite the issue people make it out to be.

My only wish is that we could do this online – what if the dude arrives while I’m trying to have sexy time? Or am in my undies painting my toe nails? Inconvenient! 😉
    SheBee recently posted…Southern Sun is giving away tickets to Riverdance!My Profile

14. alidaonline says:

They’ve put up posters in our neighbourhood with a photo of the census rep that will be coming to our area which I thought was a neat idea.
    alidaonline recently posted…Some ThingsMy Profile

15. Bonita says:

“..but if you check IDs and credentials before you let them in your gate you really shouldn’t have a problem. ”
    – I think that’s the most important part. Plus, like you said, you don’t even need to let them into your home. *thumbs up!* 🙂
    Bonita recently posted…Dutton’s Cove, Herolds BayMy Profile