31 Days of Blogging Challenge: Day 16

My Glugster (yes really :) ), Harassed Mom, Wenchy, Supermom and Jenty are also doing this blog challenge!


Day sixteen, a “day in the life” post.


Since today is a public holiday, and I am on holiday, its not going to be quite a normal day-in-the-life… 🙂

Woke up with the puppies at 5h10, the girls were still sleeping but they all get sent outside to “busy” and drink water and I go back to bed for a snuggle with my man.

At about 5h40 either Lennox or Louise will scratch on the door, and then I let them all back in and head head for the kitchen.

At 6h00 the cats are fed – they’ve been shouting at me since I opened my bedroom door. Their stainless steel bowls are ontop of the dishwasher and they each get a level scoop of dry food. Then the dogs are fed- also out of stainless steel bowls – Thelma first, then Louise (her epilepsy meds in her bowl), then Riddick (his food is topped up with water to make him eat slower), then Lennox, then Rhody (when he’s here with us) – pack order is maintained. I supervise their eating because Thelma eats slowly, and whilst she won’t allow the puppies to steal her food, she eats slower if they hover near her! And since the puppies are all taught not to be food-defensive they will eat each other’s food if given the opportunity!

At 6h15 I make myself a cup of coffee and have either 2 slices of buttered toast, or cereal with cold milk. If it were a normal week day, I would be making work lunches for my husband and the knucklehead, but not today.

6h30 myself and all the dogs went outside, as usual I rinsed out and refilled the big water bowl and pooper scooped the garden. Then ‘coz I didn’t have to make sarnies, I played ball with the boys.

7h00 back to the bedroom with all the dogs, scheduled the week’s Facebook and Twitter updates for SAGA and The Cupcake Lady, scanned my Feedly list, scanned my Facebook and Twitter feeds, I think I may have posted an update or left a comment here and there…

8h10 started waking up my hubby, who had not slept well at all and took a frozen focaccia out to defrost on my new, bright yellow, silicone baking sheet.

8h45 headed for Makro for some groceries and bought some new pillows and a bigger stronger vacuum cleaner for the carpeted bedrooms!

10h00 back home, put a chicken and veggies in the slow cooker.

10h45 vacuumed the bedroom whilst my Glugster took the portable aircon apart to clean it out.

11h30 caramelised onion, yellow pepper and green pepper slivers on the stove… My mommy & daddy darling were going to come for lunch but daddy darling wasn’t feeling well.

12h30 pressed the defrosted and well risen focaccia flat with my fingers, then pressed the cooled caramelised onion and peppers into the soft dough, added some halved cherry tomatoes and sprinkled it with sea salt and balsamic vinegar, then baked it for 20 minutes.

13h00 cut up and enjoyed the baked focaccia – and realised I forgot to put feta cheese on it!

13h30 poured a little olive oil on the non-functioning pond outside our bedroom in an attempt to suffocate the mozzie larvae living in it, without killing the birds that frequent it, then covered it with a makeshift cage to keep Rhody the Labrador out of it.

14h30 light snooze on the bed to get away from the heat, with Riddick the Lab and my Glugster…

15h30 late, late lunch of the slow cooker chicken and chunky roast veggies. Spent the afternoon chilling and playing with the dogs, did a little obedience training with the Labs.

18h00 supper for the furbabies! Same as the early morning routine, except that the Labradors get more food than in the morning.

18h20 outside with all the dogs again – busies, fresh water, pooper scooping… The rest of the evening is spent watching TV, perhaps reading a couple of blogs.

A “typical” day for me – when I’m not on holiday – starts the same way as today did.
The puppies wake up between 5 and 5:45am, they’re fed at 6am, I make work lunches for my two men, then I make coffee for the three of us in our travel cups.
We leave the house at about 6:50am, usually with Riddick and Lennox in the car with us, drop the knucklehead off about 1km from his work and drop my Glugster at the Gautrain station.
Back home- except for Tuesdays when we stop at the vet to weigh the puppies.
Surf through social media feeds, leave comments, respond to comments, reply to cake and cupcake enquiries, update my baking business admin.
My Mondays are my quiet days, when I get to chill a little bit, take a bit of a morning nap, get to the shops to stock up on ingredients and the like. I also go to SA Guide-dogs early on Monday mornings to drop off our weekend doggy visitors- currently a yellow Lab named Rhody, a service-dog-in-training. I’ll spend some time there getting news from SAGA staff and getting pictures of anything interesting.
Once my admin is done, I get started on whatever baking or sugar work I have for the day and the week.
When I am really organised, I have the icing I need made and refrigerated, ready to use when the cakes are baked.
Since most of my orders are for Fridays and Saturdays, I try to get my sugar art done early in the week.
I also try to get my work for the day finished by the time my Glugster and my knucklehead get home from work – there’s not much point working from home if it interferes with your home life, after all. I don’t always get that right though, and I am very blessed in that my Glugster will happily make supper for us while I work!

Find the original challenge here:
31 Days of Blogging Challenge