“Ag Pleeeease Mommy” Pretty Much Sums Up My Weekend!

Is this going to happen every weekend? Damien has gone home with one of his new friends two Friday’s in a row. In our house we have a rule that there’s no sleeping over during the school term. We have tried it before and it just doesn’t work- homework and housework get neglected, he’s too buggered and unprepared for school come Monday morning- and I seldom have the money to reciprocate with his friends the next weekend. Nevertheless, Damien will ask. On Friday morning on the way to school he asked for the first time if he could stay over at J’s house that night. I said no, and we reviewed the rules in the car on the way to school. A perfectly civil conversation, you’d think the message would have gotten through, right? On Friday afternoon- as J’s mom picked them up- he sent me a text message asking again if he could sleep over, I replied by reminding him of the rule and telling him that by asking me to do something I have already said no to, he will make me angry rather than sympathetic to his plight. I worked till 6:30, popped in to say hi to my folks and then left the fetch Damien. When I picked him up at about 8pm (since he’s older now I fetch him from his friends a little later) and as true as nana’s he asked again- saying that since I was fetching him so late- why didn’t I just let him stay over then?! I was speechless! I made like I hadn’t heard him while I said thank you to J’s mom, who invited him to return the next morning if he wanted to, which of course he did. There was a skateboarding competition the following day at a local skate park and Damien was keen on going to watch. On the way home I again told Damien about how asking me for something I had already said no to (twice) was simply going to make me the moer in- rather than make me give in, not to mention making me uncomfortable in front of his friends mom. You’d think he’d know that by now. Friday night. . . I fell asleep in front of the TV. Saturday morning I took him back to J (who wasn’t interested in the skating competition so they stayed at his house) and then I went shopping. I wasn’t going to shop as such, I just wanted some quiet time and a stroll- and lo and behold- I found a sale at Donna Claire! I bought a few blouses and a new handbag (credit accounts and sales go SO well together), then I went to my favourite coffee shop (Seattle) which adjoins Exclusive Books, bought myself a People magazine and spent an hour watching the people go by from behind my fluff and coffee. Then I went home to do some housework before fetching Damien. I picked him up and wouldn’t you believe he asked again if he could stay over at J’s house! I said nothing- simply pretended he hadn’t said anything of the sort. Anyhoo. Saturday night was movie club night, our first meeting for 2006. And this year we’re planning on going out to the movies once a month rather than one of us hosting each time- unless there’s an oldie we all really want to see or something. Munich was showing, but being nearly three hours long and only starting at 8:45, we decided on the more “light hearted” The Brothers Grimm which proved both scary and entertaining and I highly recommend it. Afterwards we stopped at the same bar we went to last time, but it was too noisy and cold to chat so we went to Burgundy’s instead. We were there till they closed too! Great fun- next month we’re hoping to see Casanova if it’s on the circuit. Gotta love jolling with other grown up girls! Sunday morning I fetched my granny for church and afterwards we had nibblies with my folks. My dad is getting better by the day- he’s even strong enough to drive now and yesterday they went grocery shopping! It’s such a relief to see him back to his old self. Then Damien and I went home ‘coz it was Sunday and its work tomorrow, and I had to finish preparing for my first big training session on Monday morning. I snoozed a little, caught myself up on some reading and writing, watched the A1 South Africa race which was on a Street Circuit in Durban- very entertaining- and finished my work. I covered the two school books that still needed plastic, then realised- a little after ten pm- that I haven’t even started January’s newsletter yet and it’s supposed to go out in a couple of days! I hope you had a fabulous exciting weekend- or at least an incident free one.